Get Your Skipper’s Ticket

Fishing from a boat is one of the most popular recreational pastimes in Western Australia, and indeed across the country.

Boating ownership rates in WA are also among the highest in the world, and it is important to note that anyone at the helm of a powerboat in this state needs to have their Recreational Skipper’s Ticket (RST).

The RST was brought in to improve marine safety and is a nationally-recognised certificate of competency that shows that the holder has the minimum knowledge and practical skills needed to operate a powerboat safely.

A person must have a RST if he or she is the person in charge of an ‘RST vessel’ and the vessel is being operated in the water.

An RST vessel is any boat that is registered with the Department of Transport, or required to be registered, that is used for recreational purposes, and that is powered by has an engine with more than 4.5kW (6hp).

The minimum age to obtain an RST is 14, and to get one you need to pass an assessment by an authorised RST provider.

There are a large number of authorised providers across the state, that offer RST courses and testing.

The level of training may be different, but the testing process is the same.

There is an RST Workbook available to help with the training process and this contains all you need to know for the theory and practical assessments.

For more information about the RST, visit the Department of Transport website.

Once you have your Skipper’s Ticket, take a look at these great links for how and where to catch fish!